Avalehe pilt
Resumption of Estonian citizenship

You can apply for resumption of Estonian citizenship, if:

  • you have lost citizenship as a minor;
  • you are permanently living in Estonia on the ground of a residence permit or a right of residence;
  • you have been released from your previous citizenship or will be released from it because of the resumption of Estonian citizenship.

For submission of an application for resumption of the citizenship please address in person a Service Office, or apply by post or by e-mail. For submitting the application in the Service Office you need to make a reservation.

Documents requested for application

  • application form, to be filled in on screen and printed out. Instructions for filling the application form;
  • 1 digital colour photo
  • a document certifying the payment of the state fee;
  • a document proving that the applicant has been released from citizenship of another state or will be released from such citizenship in relation to the acquisition of Estonian citizenship or that he or she has been declared to be a stateless person (is not applicable to persons under 18 years of age and the persons who have been granted international protection, if the situation in his or her country of origin has not changed);
  • in case of a minor under 15 years of age, an agreement between the parents which bears officially certified signatures of the parties, or a document proving that the parent is bringing up the minor alone;
  • in case of a person 15-18 years of age, a consent by a parent or guardian.

Decision on resumption of or refusal to resume the citizenship After the submission of an application, the documents will be transmitted within 6 months to the Government of the Republic for taking a decision on the grant of Estonian citizenship.

In case of resumption of the citizenship the certificate on citizenship shall be issued to you.

After your citizenship has been resumed, you can apply for the ID-card and/or passport of the Estonian citizen.
Simultaneously with an application , You can also submit an application for an ID-card and/or Estonian citizen's passport.