Avalehe pilt
Important information for the applicant of the temporary residence permit for studying

In educational institutions acknowledged by the state

  • for study in a basic school, gymnasium, vocational educational institution, institution of applied higher education or university  (for study in a university or institution of applied higher education the language skills of an alien must correspond to the minimum requirements established by the educational institution for the level of educational language, or an alien shall specialise in the national language);
  • for study in an educational institution established on the basis of transnational agreement;
  • for participation in pre-degree foundation courses in a vocational educational institution, institution of applied higher education or university;
  • for participation in field training for pedagogical or other educational purpose in a basic school or gymnasium;
  • for participation in pre-degree foundation courses of a vocational educational institution, institution of applied higher education or university;
  • for participation in field training intermediated by a vocational educational institution, institution of applied higher education, university or an international students' organization:
    • the field training is related to the acquirable education;
    • the field training is not compensated;
    • a field training contract has been entered into between an alien and the institution conducting the field training.
  • for voluntary service within the frames of a youth project or program acknowledged by the Ministry of Education and Science:
    • an alien must not get remuneration for the voluntary service;
    • a youth association, within the frames of whose youth project or program an alien is applying for residence permit, will bear the maintenance expenses of the alien during his/her residence in Estonia;
    • a youth association, within the frames of whose youth project or program an alien is applying for residence permit, has entered into an insurance contract which would cover all medical costs caused by illness or injuries of the alien;
    • a contract of voluntary service has been entered into between the alien and the youth association, within the frames of whose youth project or program an alien is applying for residence permit for voluntary service, which must reflect the following data:
      • the duties of the alien;
      • the tutoring terms related to performance of the duties;
      • working time of the alien;
      • means for covering travelling subsistence and accommodation costs and for allowances during the total stay in Estonia;
      • training, if necessary, provided for better performance of voluntary service of the alien.

Residence permit for study shall be issued in order to perform a curriculum of educational institution in full load.


At a foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia

When addressing a foreign representation, please bring along all the requested documents for application. At the foreign representation the fingerprints shall be captured from the applicant.



Foreign document

Document annexed to an application that is issued in a foreign country has to be translated into Estonian, English or Russian and notarised certification of the translation is required.

The document needs to be certified with an apostille certificate (marginal note) or legalised, excl. in cases, if it has been issued by a country:

  • with which Estonia has signed a contract of legal assistance: Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Ukraine, Russia.
  • who are subjects to the Convention on the issue of multilingual extracts from civil status records, signed at Vienna in 1976: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Cape Verde, Spain, the Netherlands, Croatia, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, France, Germany, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Switzerland and Turkey;

Additional information can be found at home page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

On 1st of July 2012 entered into force an agreement on cancellation of the legalization requirement of population register documents of Estonia and Finland, which significantly simplifies for people to manage their public businesses in both countries. Pursuant to the agreement the statements of population register, which are made in English language, shall be mutually recognized without any additional certificate (apostille) or translation.

The agreement specifies the list of documents which will be mutually released from apostille. On the part of Estonia such documents are statements of the population register in English language (certificates for birth, death, marriage, change of name, divorce, certificate on ability to get married and statement with selective data). On the part of Finland such documents are the statement of the population register (with selective data), certificate by church and certificate on ability to get married.

From now on, for a citizen of Estonia and for a citizen of Finland who is residing in Estonia the best way is to apply in a local municipality for an English language statement of Estonian population register with all the requested data. The statement of the population register is free of charge. For evidencing a certain event, it is possible, when required, to ask from a county government the English language certificate of such event, which shall be issued against state fee payment pursuant to the State Fees Act (for certificate of birth, death, marriage and divorce the state fee is 3,19 Euros, for certificate on ability to get married 1,59 Euros and for a statement of decision on change of name 3,19 Euros).

This named agreement is not applicable to vital statistics documents which have been issued before 1.07.2010 and to the statements issued in Estonian and Finnish languages.

The full text of the agreement is provided in the State Gazette Riigi Teataja.


Legal income

Requirement for legal income is twice the subsistence level in Estonia for every month of stay in Estonia, depending on the size of the family. In 2017, the subsistence level is 130 euros per month; therefore, requirement for legal income is at least 260 euros per month.
Legal income are deemed to be:

  • lawfully earned remuneration for work;
  • parental benefits;
  • unemployment insurance benefits;
  • income received from lawful business activities or property;
  • pensions;
  • scholarships;
  • alimony (maintenance support);
  • benefits paid by a foreign state;
  • subsistence ensured by family members (i.e. spouse, parents of minor child, parents of adult children who need care and assistance, adult children or grandchildren of parents or grandparents who need care and assistance, parents or grandparents of adult child who is studying at full load, guardian) earning legal income.




Insurance contract

An alien applying for a residence permit or residing in Estonia, who is not covered by compulsory health insurance pursuant to the Health Insurance Act, is obligated to enter into a compulsory health insurance contract (hereinafter a contract) corresponding to the following terms and valid in Estonia during the whole validity period of the residence permit:

  • an insured event is an unexpected and unforeseeable illness or accident occurred with the alien insured according to the contract (hereinafter the insured person) during the insurance period;
  • an insurer is required to reimburse to an insured person, within the extent of the sum insured, the necessary medical costs due to the illness or accident and the costs of studies being done for establishing the insured event and the determination of the treatment;
  • the insurance coverage for the insurance period of one year is at least 6000 euros;
  • in case the parties have agreed on the waiting period in the meaning of subsection 558 (1) of the Law of Obligations Act, this may not be longer than two months;
  • the contract shall enter into force as of the granting of the residence permit and shall expire with the expiry of the period of validity of the residence permit, unless otherwise agreed by the parties.

The compulsory insurance requirement is also covered by a compulsory insurance or collective insurance contract entered into by another person, provided that the alien is named as the insured person in such contract.

In case within the insurance period the insured person becomes a person covered with insurance or equal to thereof on the basis of the Health Insurance Act:

  • the insurance provider has no duty of performance to the extent in which the insured person has a right to receive health insurance benefit on the basis of the Health Insurance Act;
  • The parties are entitled to cancel the contract on the basis of the Health Insurance Act as of the arising of the insurance cover.



By post

Please send the documents requested for applying and the copies of original documents to the address:

Police and Border Guard Administration
Pärnu mnt 139
15060 Tallinn

More detailed requirements to documents enclosed to the application form can be found here.


By e-mail

You can apply for extension of residence permit by e-mail, if less than two years have from the last application for residence permit and capturing of fingerprints, provided that You are holding a valid residence card.

Sign all documents required for application digitally in one container. Digital colour photo (minimum size is 650х800 pixels and 500kB) and specimen signature must be in .jpg format.

Send the signed container to an address ppa@politsei.ee. The subject of an e-mail, please write: „ELAMISLOA PIKENDAMISE TAOTLUS“.

Instructions for saving and digital signing of the questionnaire.


Obligations of an educational institution

The educational institution where an alien who was granted a residence permit for study, the institution conducting the traineeship, international student organisation who intermediated the traineeship of an alien in Estonia and a youth organisation, for voluntary service in the framework of whose youth project or program an alien was issued a temporary residence permit for voluntary service, shall have the obligation to notify the Police and Border Guard in writing within two weeks about the following aspects:

  • dismissing of an alien, to whom a residence permit was granted for studies, from the educational institution;
  • failure to perform the curriculum in the required amount;
  • completion of studies;
  • failure to commence the studies at the prescribed term or termination of studies; or
  • entering into or termination of a field training contract with an alien.

An educational institution is entitled to represent a minor alien in the proceedings related to his/her stay in Estonia or leave of Estonia, if a legal representative of the alien (e.g. parent) is not staying in Estonia.