Avalehe pilt
Important information for the applicant of the temporary residence permit for settling of an adult child with the parent

Permanent residence

Permanent residence in Estonia is considered to be the stay in Estonia of a citizen of Estonia or a close relative holding a residence permit in Estonia for at least a total of 183 days a year. The requirement for permanent residence in Estonia will not be applied, if the close relative is holding a temporary residence permit and the alien and the close relative, settling with whom the residence permit is being applied for, arrive in Estonia together or if the close relative holds an EU blue card.


At a foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia

When addressing a foreign representation, please bring along all the requested documents for application. At the foreign representation the fingerprints shall be captured from the applicant.


As an exception

As an exception you can submit an application at a Service Office, if the applicant is:

  • a citizen of a foreign state, with whom Estonia has entered into an agreement of visa-free travel or the visa requirement has been waived from (info www.vm.ee);
  • a citizen of the United States of America or Japan;
  • an alien holding a right to stay in Estonia deriving from the expiry of the period of validity of the temporary residence permit;
  • a close relative of an alien holding an EU blue card issued by another Member State of the European Union, who holds a residence permit issued by another Member State of the European Union to a family member of an alien holding an EU blue card, who is applying for residence permit in Estonia for settling with his/her close relative. The named applicant must apply, at the latest after the lapse of one month from the date of entry into Estonia, for a residence permit for settling with his/her close relative.

The stay in Estonia of close relative of an alien holding an EU blue card issued by another Member State of the European Union who is applying for an EU blue card in Estonia is legal until the decision making, if he/she holds  a residence permit issued by another Member State of the European Union to a family member of an alien holding an EU blue card, and he/she is applying for residence permit in Estonia for settling with his/her close relative with the purpose of settling to reside with an alien applying for an EU blue card.

In internal applying for residence permit on the basis of a motivated proposition of a member of the Government of the Republic
An alien whose arrival in Estonia is proceeding from public interest necessary on the basis of motivated proposal of the Member of Government of the Republic may submit application for temporary residence permit to the Police and Border Guard Board. To this end an alien shall apply in person together with the motivated proposal of the Member of Government of the Republic to the Service Office of the Police and Border Guard Board.


Foreign document

Document annexed to an application that is issued in a foreign country has to be translated into Estonian, English or Russian and notarised certification of the translation is required.

The document needs to be certified with an apostille certificate (marginal note) or legalised, excl. in cases, if it has been issued by a country:

  • with which Estonia has signed a contract of legal assistance: Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Ukraine, Russia.
  • who are subjects to the Convention on the issue of multilingual extracts from civil status records, signed at Vienna in 1976: Austria, Belgium, Bosnia, Bulgaria, Cape Verde, Spain, the Netherlands, Croatia, Italy, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Moldavia, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, France, Germany, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Switzerland and Turkey;
  • who are subjects to the Brussels 1987 Convention and who are temporary applying the Brussels Convention: Belgium, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, France, Denmark.

Additional information can be found at home page of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

On 1st of July 2012 entered into force an agreement on cancellation of the legalization requirement of population register documents of Estonia and Finland, which significantly simplifies for people to manage their public businesses in both countries. Pursuant to the agreement the statements of population register, which are made in English language, shall be mutually recognized without any additional certificate (apostille) or translation.

The agreement specifies the list of documents which will be mutually released from apostille. On the part of Estonia such documents are statements of the population register in English language (certificates for birth, death, marriage, change of name, divorce, certificate on ability to get married and statement with selective data). On the part of Finland such documents are the statement of the population register (with selective data), certificate by church and certificate on ability to get married.

From now on, for a citizen of Estonia and for a citizen of Finland who is residing in Estonia the best way is to apply in a local municipality for an English language statement of Estonian population register with all the requested data. The statement of the population register is free of charge. For evidencing a certain event, it is possible, when required, to ask from a county government the English language certificate of such event, which shall be issued against state fee payment pursuant to the State Fees Act (for certificate of birth, death, marriage and divorce the state fee is 3,19 Euros, for certificate on ability to get married 1,59 Euros and for a statement of decision on change of name 3,19 Euros).

This named agreement is not applicable to vital statistics documents which have been issued before 1.07.2010 and to the statements issued in Estonian and Finnish languages.

The full text of the agreement is provided in the State Gazette Riigi Teataja.


Insurance contract

An alien applying for a residence permit or residing in Estonia, who is not covered by compulsory health insurance pursuant to the Health Insurance Act, is obligated to enter into a compulsory health insurance contract (hereinafter a contract) corresponding to the following terms and valid in Estonia during the whole validity period of the residence permit:

  • the contract is entered into with an insurance provider authorised to insure the medical treatment insurance risk in Estonia;
  • an insured event is an unexpected and unforeseeable illness or accident occurred with the alien insured according to the contract (hereinafter the insured person) during the insurance period;
  • an insurer is required to reimburse to an insured person, within the extent of the sum insured, the necessary medical costs due to the illness or accident and the costs of studies being done for establishing the insured event and the determination of the treatment;
  • the insurance coverage for the insurance period of one year is at least 6000 euros;
  • in case the parties have agreed on the waiting period in the meaning of subsection 558 (1) of the Law of Obligations Act, this may not be longer than two months;
  • the contract shall enter into force as of the granting of the residence permit and shall expire with the expiry of the period of validity of the residence permit, unless otherwise agreed by the parties.

The compulsory insurance requirement is also covered by a compulsory insurance or collective insurance contract entered into by another person, provided that the alien is named as the insured person in such contract.

In case within the insurance period the insured person becomes a person covered with insurance or equal to thereof on the basis of the Health Insurance Act:

  • the insurance provider has no duty of performance to the extent in which the insured person has a right to receive health insurance benefit on the basis of the Health Insurance Act;
  • The parties are entitled to cancel the contract on the basis of the Health Insurance Act as of the arising of the insurance cover.

If an alien has no opportunity to conclude a proper insurance contract before the residence permit is granted to him/her, then he/she must submit:

  • a written assurance, that he/she will conclude the required insurance contract no later than within two months after the settlement in Estonia;
  • an insurance contract, which shall cover the medial treatment expenses until the conclusion of a proper insurance contract (e.g. travel insurance contract).

Written confirmation shall not be accepted, if the applicant is staying in Estonia or has arrived into Estonia prior the decision is made about the application for residence permit (e.g. on the basis of visa).


By post

Please send the documents requested for applying and the copies of original documents to the address:

Police and Border Guard Administration
Pärnu mnt 139
15060 Tallinn

More detailed requirements to documents enclosed to the application form can be found here. Please certify the authenticity of the copy with the original document by your name, signature and date on each page of the copy which carries any data.


By e-mail

You can apply for extension of residence permit by e-mail, if less than two years have from the last application for residence permit and capturing of fingerprints, provided that You are holding a valid residence card.

Sign all documents required for application digitally in one container. Digital colour photo (minimum size is 650х800 pixels and 500kB) and specimen signature must be in .jpg format.

Send the signed container to an address ppa@politsei.ee. The subject of an e-mail, please write: „ELAMISLOA PIKENDAMISE TAOTLUS“.

Instructions for saving and digital signing of the questionnaire.



Legal income must enable the maintenance of the alien and his/her family members in Estonia.

Legal income are deemed to be:

  • lawfully earned remuneration for work;
  • parental benefits;
  • unemployment insurance benefits;
  • income received from lawful business activities or property;
  • pensions;
  • scholarships;
  • alimony (maintenance support);
  • benefits paid by a foreign state;
  • subsistence ensured by family members (i.e. spouse, parents of minor child, parents of adult children who need care and assistance, adult children or grandchildren of parents or grandparents who need care and assistance, parents or grandparents of adult child who is studying at full load, guardian) earning legal income.