Avalehe pilt
Temporary residence permit for employment

An alien may apply for residence permit for employment with an employer registered in Estonia and for scientific or research works, if the institution has been entered with the register of science and development institutions:

For submitting an application, please address in person a foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia. An alien who has a legal basis for staying in Estonia, may submit the application at the Service Office. For submitting the application in the Service Office you need to make a reservation.

Required documents

  • Application forms, to be filled in on screen and printed out. Instructions for filling in the application form

By signing the application you confirm that:
the copy appended to the application complies with the original document, it does not contain false data and it has not been forged
you have adequate legal income
you have a health insurance contract.


The employer can submit the invitation by employer and a permission of Estonian Unemployment Insurance Fund, if required, to the Police and Border Guard Board by e-mail (ppa@politsei.ee) or by post (Pärnu mnt. 139, 15060 Tallinn).

Additional documents , information or confirmations:

  • for employment as a top specialist:
    • if the company in which the alien commences employment has been registered in Estonia for less than 12 months and commences operation with the support of the state or private investments, submit documents or information reflecting data on the receipt of investment or loan from the state or a private management company licensed by the Financial Supervision Authority or data on the receipt of support from a public support measure
    • if the parent company has been operating for at least 12 months and the annual turnover of the parent company amounts to at least ten million euros, show documents or data to prove it
  • temporary agency work –  by signing the invitation, you confirm that you have funds in deposit to the extent of at least ten per cent of the remuneration fund
  • person engaged in creative activities – by signing the invitation, you confirm that the applicant has professional training or experience
  • research work – by signing the invitation, you confirm that a hosting agreement exists
  • sportsman, coach, referee, sports official – by signing the invitation, you confirm the agreement of a sports federation as regards the alien’s commencement of employment
  • expert, adviser or consultant – by signing the invitation, you confirm the applicant’s professional training
  • working at a start-up – provide an opinion of the expert committee or a number of the application of the expert committee, unless the company is one of the start-up companies listed in the Directive of the Minister of the Interior
  • EU Blue Card – provide an assessment of a competent agency as regards the attestation of a professional qualification or documents or data that prove that the alien has at least five years of professional experience. By signing the invitation, you confirm that you have concluded with the alien an employment contract that is valid for at least 1 year or made a binding job offer
  • Employee transferred within an undertaking – provide data concerning the alien’s employment contract in a third country.


Decision on granting or refusal of residence permit
Granting or refusal of temporary residence permit shall be decided within 2 months from the acceptance of the application.

In case of granting a residence permit, a residence card shall be issued to the guardian within 30 days at the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia or at the Service Office stated on the application form. Arrival of the residence card in a foreign representation may take more time.

A residence permit for employment is issued for a period of guaranteed employment in Estonia by an employer with a period of validity of up to 2 years and it can be extended for up to five years at a time.

An EU blue card shall be issued with a validity period three months longer than the employment period granted by an employer, taking into account that the validity period of it cannot exceed 2 years and 3 months and it can be extended for up to 4 years and 3 months at a time.

In the case, if you terminate your employment on the conditions determined in the residence permit and you wish to be employed by another employer, then you must previously apply for new residence permit for employment.

Extension of temporary residence permit
Please submit an application for extension of temporary residence permit in person at a Service Office at least two months prior the expiry of the current residence permit. In case if less than 5 years have passed from capturing of fingerprints, you can also apply for residence permit or extension of residence permit by post or by e-mail.

The decision on extension or refusal to extend the temporary residence permit shall be made at the latest 10 days prior the expiry of the validity term of the temporary residence permit. The residence card shall be issued at the Service Office named on the application form.

You may find information about obligations of an employer here.

A legal basis for stay in Estonia after the expiry of the residence permit
If the residence permit of an alien expires upon the lapse of the period of validity, the stay in Estonia shall be legal for the 90 days following the expiry date of the period of validity of the residence permit. When an alien has been issued a residence permit for study or employment for research work or employment as a lecturer, the right to stay in Estonia shall be the legal basis of an alien for stay in Estonia for the 183 days following the expiry date of the period of validity of the residence permit. During this period, an alien has the right to work in Estonia directly arising from law. You may read more about the legal bases for stay in Estonia from here.