Avalehe pilt
Temporary residence permit for settling of a parent/grandparent with the child/grandchild

A temporary residence permit can be applied for settling with a child/grandchild who resides permanently in Estonia (if you need care and it is not possible for you to receive it in the country of your location), if the child/grandchild is:

  • a citizen of Estonia, or
  • an alien holding a long-term residence permit in Estonia.

For submitting an application, please address in person a foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia. As an exception you may submit an application in a Service Office. For submitting the application in the Service Office you need to make a reservation.

Required documents

  • Application forms, to be filled in on screen and printed out. Instructions for filling in the application form.


Requirements for the documents issued abroad can be found here.

Decision on granting or refusal of residence permit
Granting or refusal of temporary residence permit shall be decided within 2 months from the acceptance of the application. A residence permit may be granted for up to 5 years.

In case of granting a residence permit, a residence card shall be issued to the applicant in person within 30 days at the foreign representation of the Republic of Estonia or at the Service Office stated on the application form. Arrival of the residence card in a foreign representation may take more time.

Extension of temporary residence permit

Please submit an application for extension of temporary residence permit in person at a Service Office at least two months prior the expiry of the current residence permit.

In case if less than 2 years have passed from the previous applying for residence permit and from capturing of fingerprints, you can also apply for extension of residence permit by post or by e-mail.

The decision on extension or refusal to extend the temporary residence permit shall be made at the latest 10 days prior the expiry of the validity term of the temporary residence permit. The residence card shall be issued at the Service Office named on the application form.

A legal basis for stay in Estonia after the expiry of the residence permit
If the residence permit of an alien expires upon the lapse of the period of validity, the stay in Estonia shall be legal for the 90 days following the expiry date of the period of validity of the residence permit. You may read more about the legal bases for stay in Estonia from here.